[PD] switch~ & cputime climbing

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Wed Jun 6 14:26:42 CEST 2007

Hi Roman,

Roman Haefeli wrote:

> this is definitely not a general problem of pd. the most
> netpd-instruments do switch~ing all the time and i never noticed an
> increasing cpu usage over time on my and on many other computers.

> you might also provide a little testpatch, that triggers to problem on
> your machine, so that everyone can easily test as well.

One test patch came up earlier in thread:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-04/049372.html

> here:
>
> ubuntu dapper
> pd-vanilla 0.40.2 (compiled from source)
> no increased cpu usage due to [switch~]ing

Here:

Mac Powerbook 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4

OSX 10.4.9, PD Extended 0.39.2
and
Gentoo Linux, PD 0.39.2 self-compiled

both exhibit exponential CPU climbing, will test more with mentioned
test patch and report back

best,
d.

--