[PD] elitism, software and academia (was GEM FTGL Sadness)

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 19:55:11 CEST 2007

> I'm sure Mr. Spock had to deal with this all the time and I sure as
> hell know that many people in my undergrad math department did!
>
> ~Kyle

my turn
[steps up on the soap box]
Everyone should learn at least calculus and differential equations.
Elementary concepts of signal processing (not necessarily DSP) are
grounded in diff eq.  It makes a good jumping off point for looking at
Fourier Transforms, convolution, filters (of course, these are just
ordinary 2nd order diff eq with a forcing function (the input)), and
the list goes on and on.
'Elitism' is something to be applied to individuals, not whole
communities(online or academic or where ever they may reside).  Hey,
that goes for me too.
If you think all musicians should learn at least differential
equations... you might be an elitist.
[steps down]

Chuck