[PD] elitism, software and academia (was GEM FTGL Sadness)

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Fri Jun 8 01:22:35 CEST 2007

jared wrote:
> Hey Andy.

[snip]

> The force of industry is continually to divide programmers from
> practicioners, to demark roles like "creative sound designer" from
> "audio programmer" and create neat conservative little pidgeonholes for
> HR people to fit CVs into. Of course this is nonsense. Any good sound
> designer
> or musician is greatly enriched by a knowledge of programming, DSP,
> physics etc, and at the same time any programmer is greatly enabled
> by understanding the aesthetics and big picture of a product they work
> on.

I am disappointed when I see academia taking a similar line:

--8<--
Combine these in a degree in Computer Science with Music Technology and
you could be creating music software for tomorrow’s musicians.
--8<--

or,

"get that tick for the box on the industry job application form"

I'm not sure I want to be part of that world.  For me, making music is
inextricably linked with programming - I don't want to make an
instrument for someone else; I don't want to make an instrument once and
use it forever; I want to be constantly exploring, building new bespoke
instruments to fit every piece I write, which may borrow from earlier
work but are never exactly the same.  Art isn't "the wheel", there is no
final destination, no brilliant black box instrument that once built can
do everything I want it to do.

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org