[PD] elitism, software and academia (was GEM FTGL Sadness)

patrice colet megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Fri Jun 8 19:46:49 CEST 2007

Le vendredi 08 juin 2007 à 18:44 +0200, Roman Haefeli a écrit :
> On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 17:30 +0200, Patco wrote:
>
> > ( net-pd is one kind of this project obviously but I've found it misses
> > documentation for having a real idea on how it is functionning, maybe I
> > didn't go deeply enough through the available files...)
>
> what are you missing? i know that netpd lacks a lot of documentation,
> but i'd like to know, what other people are missing.
>
> roman
 Hi roman, thanks for paying attention;
Maybe I'm asking too much but it would be nice if each patch was
documented with comments that helps for understanding any process that
makes functionning net-pd in every detail.
 And obviously, the same thing would be necessary for any eventual
'add-on', or abstraction made by a net-pd user.
I think that some dogmas would be necessary for avoiding to enter into
an anarchic project
*sarcasm*
 where all patches has been made by the freewill of belzebut
*end sarcasm*
 An example of well documented project is how almost all list-abs.

 Net-pd is for me the ONLY project where we could have a chance one day
for having ALL externals, abstractions, extensions and even the hardware
dependant externals in action, without having passing hours about
configuring pd, understanding how the object works, etc ...
 This is certainly because a growing bunch of people uses to build
net-pd patches for jamming with others all around the world...

 Well I'm always thinking about future developpements (maybe too much),
and found out that the net-pd project is the best candidate for having a
functionnal bundle of all pd candies.
 So, if all the stuff inside this neat project is also documented by
comments, it would not only become more efficient than any manual,
stage, physical meetings ..., for both learning how to use pd and having
fun with it, but it would also decrease the amount of time for
developping some add-ons, or optimizing the functionning.

 I don't particulary have fun with opening, testing, closing the
hundreds patches grabbed from cvs, pd-extended, pd-list, etc...
if all those patches were documented under a single project that is
already functionnal, a new user would come to the pd world without the
fear of not having the possibility of understanding how the hell this
stuff works.

Patko.