[PD] elitism, software and academia (was GEM FTGL Sadness)

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Fri Jun 8 20:28:32 CEST 2007

Hallo!

>  Net-pd is for me the ONLY project where we could have a chance one day
> for having ALL externals, abstractions, extensions and even the hardware
> dependant externals in action, without having passing hours about
> configuring pd, understanding how the object works, etc ...
[...]
> and found out that the net-pd project is the best candidate for having a
> functionnal bundle of all pd candies.

that's what pd extended tries to achieve ...

>  So, if all the stuff inside this neat project is also documented by
> comments, it would not only become more efficient than any manual,
> stage, physical meetings ..., for both learning how to use pd and having
> fun with it, but it would also decrease the amount of time for
> developping some add-ons, or optimizing the functionning.

that's what pd extended tries to achieve ...

>  I don't particulary have fun with opening, testing, closing the
> hundreds patches grabbed from cvs, pd-extended, pd-list, etc...
> if all those patches were documented under a single project that is
> already functionnal, a new user would come to the pd world without the
> fear of not having the possibility of understanding how the hell this
> stuff works.

again, pd extended ...
However, of course not all patches are working out of the box with pd
extended (I think not many will work), but if everyone builds his own
distribution system (like netpd in your description) then it will never
work ...

LG
Georg