[PD] elitism, software and academia (was GEM FTGL Sadness)

patrice colet megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Fri Jun 8 22:22:51 CEST 2007

Le vendredi 08 juin 2007 à 21:35 +0200, Georg Holzmann a écrit :
> Hallo!

> However, I only wanted to say that the goal of pd-extended is exactly
> what you described -

So I have to conclude that pd-extended seriously need a kind of
interface that would help going directly to the stuff we need.
Not really a browser, a 'workstation' set of abstraction would be more
versatile, I believe; memento could be the preset manager part of this
workstation, for giving a little clue, and gridflow would be the cherry
at the topside of the cake (maybe I went too far again).

 Excuse-me for being so redondant, for example in net-pd, if we want to
use a synth, we just have to open a synth, a mixtable, and a master
clock, and voila, we can play with the synth without scratching head for
finding the good button to push, if we want drum boxes, we open
drumboxes, a sequencer, and we can beat the rythm all in sync with the
synths, just with several mouse clicks.
 This example shows how things might be handled from some part of
pd-extended, a kind of modular interface that could be able to make
functionning all the stuff inside.

>  of course it does not work yet and I don't know if
> it will work in future ...

What about trying first to build a 'lower' version of pd-extended where
all the inefficient stuff and their depending things would be simply
supressed?
 It would make a kind of stable release, for starting on a clean
environment.
 Also the actual version of pd-extended would continue it's road,
fighting against bugs, swallowing each new technology, but with the
awareness of being an 'unstable release'.

> And you are invited to help - cleaning up some patches, adding comments,
> include out-of-the-box examples,
Where would I submit corrected files?
>  ... everything you described is really
> useful and appreciated.