[PD] elitism, software and academia (was GEM FTGL Sadness)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 8 22:44:57 CEST 2007

On Jun 8, 2007, at 6:18 AM, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> Hi Jared,
>
> On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 07:16 +0100, jared wrote:
>
>> While I'm ranting :-)....In my academic experience, it's often
>> frowned
>> upon to use other's patches in your own compositions because it seems
>> that the patches themselves are the work of art; and it's almost
>> as if
>> this is considered plagiarism.
>
> I don't know what your academic experience is, but there is a lot of
> evidence to suggest the opposite of what you are saying. The
> sharing of
> PD patches and abstractions is commonplace in the PD community.
> Currently in the CVS there are:
>
> pd/ 424 pd patches
> externals/ 3464 pd patches
> abstractions/ 953 pd patches
>
> That doesn't include ad-hoc patches people have shared via the mailing
> list, of which I have 847 on my computer grabbed from the list
> archive.
>
> All of these are publically available, and free for use in your own
> work. They range from simple help files to complex abstractions and
> patches.

 From my experience with Pd in academic environments, I think they
are generally not very good an interfacing with the net communities
and other external communities.  Of course, there are exceptions,
some very notable ones, but think overall the tendency is for
academic communities to be very inward looking.  This is something
that I think makes things worse for all involved, but being involved
in academia, I can see why things are like that.

One key reasons is that face-to-face communications and collaboration
are much more fulfilling than doing the same via email, IRC, IM,
etc.  But in the case of the academic communities in NYC, there
should be a lot more crosstalk, but some institutions really actively
avoid external interaction.

Part of this is driven by the "business model" of many universities
(yes, people who run universities think like that, tho many of the
academics are isolated from it).  Most universities in the US need
students to pay tuition in order to pay the bills.  If there is lots
of external collaboration, then there is perhaps less incentive to
pay the $40,000 a year to be part of that community.

One thing that inspires me is barcamps/unconferences, and I believe
this is what the role of the university should be.  A university
should be an institution that supports education and research.
Access should not be arbitrarily restricted by things like money,
degrees, affiliation, etc.  Anyone who wants to come should come and
participate.  There will be of course trolls, spoilers, people who
talk too much, etc.  Such things are a part of life everywhere.

We are human, and an essential part of our nature is communication.
Therefore, if we don't have the collective social skills to handle
this, it is time to develop them.  In doing so, we will gain a vast
improvement in the exchange and development of knowledge.  For
example, at the barcamps and unconfernces that I have participated
in, I have seen these collective social skills being used and
developed.  And when it works, it is really an inspiring experience,
and provides an experience that is much closer to the ideal of a
conference in terms of the amount of knowledge developed and exchanged.

So now the missing link in all this is the funding.  That is a big
reason why I am happy to be working at Polytechnic University.  It is
an institution that has withered a lot from its glory days.  In the
language of those in the university business, it's a "third tier"
university.  One of the key benefits is that there is a quite a bit
of space, classrooms, exhibition space, and an 350 seat auditorium
that are very much underused.  That means I can host events paying
nothing for the space.  Other universities in the area charge their
own faculty and staff thousands for access to the same space.

Also, my job supports me so that I have time to help organize such
events.  It's actually not very expensive for the university at all,
and we can provide something really quite unique in the NYC area, and
much closer to my ideal of an academic institution.

That's my semi-related rant of the day...

.hc