[PD] GUI in Mac OS X

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat Jun 9 08:11:44 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 01:46:27AM -0700, Julian Villegas wrote:
> I want to know how to implement a GUI for a Pd patch using Cocoa in OS X Tiger (10.4.9).
>
> I tried using paradiddle, but I think (I'm not sure about this, though) that the "Project Builder" was replaced by "Xcode," and when I tried to run the examples, I got a message in the console saying "Unknown class `PDController' in nib file, using `NSObject' instead." And the application doesn't run.
>
> Is anybody using something similar? I know griPD, but it's not available for Mac, any suggestions, ideas?

Hi,

In my opinion the best way to make an alternate interface for Pd would
be to use [netreceive 1] (UDP socket) in your patch and send UDP packets
from your client program. The best and quickest way to write a cross
platform client program that can send such UDP packets to your patch
would be to use Python and either WxPython (which will give you native
widgets on every platform) or Pygame (which will allow you to make
game-like widthgets like graphical knobs etc.). You could even set up
the client to popen() `pd -nogui` in the background on startup and kill
it when done.

Have fun.

Best,

Chris.