[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended) (was Re: elitism, software and academia)

Enrique Erne pd at mild.ch
Sat Jun 9 11:26:30 CEST 2007

hi patko

> net-pd works very good, and can be installed in a minute.
> it's not really one distribution like everyone would make, in my eyes,
> but one distribution that everyone would use, a kind of stable funny
> release of the pd stuff.
>
> Many patches won't work out of the box almost always because it will
> miss an external, or an abstraction, here we come again on the fact
> that
> the patches misses some comments,

if you miss an abstraction there is something wrong with your setup.
i think i can say _every_ netpd-patch that uses abstractions has
a subpatch [pd abslist] with a list of msgs containing all used
abstractions.

when one netloads a patch, _creator.pd will read the abslist and tells
all
the users that it is going to upload a patch with the specific
abstractions
and version number.

i.e. of sumsum.pd ( [r netpd-broadcast]-[print] )

print: cr.postloadrequest 4
print: cr.filecheck abs/jamx.pd a 0.1.26 4
print: cr.filecheck abs/pad.pd a 0.2.12 4
print: cr.filecheck abs/i2mx~.pd a 0.6.28 4
print: cr.filecheck abs/mx_manager.pd a 0.6.16 4
print: cr.filecheck abs/if4.pd a 0.0.0 4
print: cr.filecheck abs/mx_manager.pd a 0.6.16 4
print: cr.filecheck /Users/pd/netpd/patches/sumsum.pd p 0.3.5 4
print: sumsum.dumpreqreqreq 4

since creator v1.4.3 it is even possible to have an abslist in an
abstraction
itself and because i didn't updated sumsum.pd it checks mx_manager.pd
twice.
mx_manager.pd is an abstraction of i2mx~.pd therefore i could/should
remove it
from the sumsum.pd abslist.

externals:

atm netpd needs maxlib and zexy. which are included in the pd-netpd
packages. if you want to use all the instruments made so far
(they are not included in basic netpd and u don't have to use them),
you have to add iemlibs and iemmatrix (included in pd-netpd).

iemlibs was added when syntax the nerd joined netpd and ported some of
his
bag of tricks. at the time i wrote jamx i still had zexy1.3 with an
included matrix. but matrix has moved to iemmatrix in zexy2.1.
many netpd patches use jamx as mono-note-sequencer and so they all
need iemmatrix.

one patch uses creb's blosc~ and resofilt~ but that never worked for me
on osx and so i have never heard this synth :-( .

> *ultra high sarcastic mode, sensible mind don't read*

no problem

> if there is not room enough to put the name of the dependances, like in
> almost all example patches, or original abstractions, why not replacing
> the name of the autor with something more usefull...

the only useful about the name is that you can blame the person who
wrote
the patch ;-)

> *end of ultra sarcastic mode*

... seriously: at least you can talk to the author and ask him about
the patch.
so far i tried to put info into the netpd.org wiki . have you ever have
a look
there ?
i.e. http://www.netpd.org/Sumsum
all the sites are here:
http://www.netpd.org/NetpdPatches/contents#Sumsum

i was thinking about removing my name from the patches and make it more
welcome for changes (see kyle's movie about os)... so far we were
cautious in changing others patches.
usually we change the name ultrahardcoresynth-eni.pd and do changes and
suggest it
to the original author... but many authors are not active.. hmm that's
an other topic.

what information would you like to see in the patches ?
- dependencies...

what do you mean with "original abstractions" ?

> Thanks for letting me advocating my point of view,
> Patko.

regards
eni