[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended), Pd-ext bug-tracker (was Re: elitism, software and academia)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jun 9 17:24:02 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Georg Holzmann hat gesagt: // Georg Holzmann wrote:

> >> Yes, would be nice - someone would have to integrate them to pd-extended
> >> (using [import] and etc.) ...
> >
> > Everyone could integreate them to her/his own pd-extended using a
> > simple "-path flatspace", as AFAIK everything netpd uses is already
> > there and people not using pd-extended wouldn't have tons of "import:
> > couldn't create" error messages.
>
> No, zexy and iemlib is not in flatspace ...

You got me as a non-pd-ext-user. Well, then just add zexy and iem to
the path. My point is: So far, the standard way to change the path or
load libs is through the Preferences or with [declare]. This works on
every distribution of Pd. [import] is an alternative way to do it with
an external, which only works, if that external is available and if
the externals/libraries are installed in the way, pd-extended
installes them, that is, the paths are named according to the names
pd-extended gave them. (Correct me, if I'm wrong here.)

So to activate netpd's needed externals, one can either do it in a way
that works everywhere or one could depend on [import] and a certain
path layout.

I have the impression, that the netpd community currently doesn't want
to depend on the second, but instead leaves it to the users to set up
their environment in a way, that zexy and maxlib objects are
available.

Ciao