[PD] Welcome to the 90s

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 10 18:41:36 CEST 2007

Damian Stewart wrote:
> David Powers wrote:
>

>> On a side note, I wonder if hardware manufacturers will ever start
>> implementing OSC in their instruments?
>>

> as someone who has worked a little with embedded programming: i doubt it.
> when you've only got 16k of flash memory in which to fit *everything*, and
> 700 bytes of RAM, it's hard to justify doing string comparisons.

I'm using these things:
http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/rcm3700/
, which are embedded controllers with 512k of flash and another 512k of
RAM. I  have implemented OSC communications over UDP with them, to
switch relays and read sensors.

I don't know what hardware manufacturers are using these days but I
would suspect embedded PCs are the best way to go with totally digital
synthesis. There should be no reason not to use OSC except that it isn't
a proprietary standard so there's no money to be made with it...and
who's going to be the first to put an ethernet port in their machine.

I'm also interested in this qwerk thingie:
http://www.charmedlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29
, it should be able to run pd and csound and interface to some high
quality audio card, controlled by OSC, all inside a cardboard box with
tinfoil veneer ;)

Martin