[PD] pd and jack, informal survey

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Mon Jun 11 00:57:33 CEST 2007

I have been using pd with jack (in linux) extensively for the past n
years.  There are issues once in a while and some pd versions work
well while others not so well.  However, in my experience, pd causes
the most xruns (compared to other jackified apps) and also,
occasionally, causes some weird i/o sync hick-up in the jack graph.
Overall, it has not let me down in the jack area but it sure could use
a little improvement.

On the upside, however, IIRC pd has never been zombified by jack or
otherwise "unhooked" from the jack server.

Currently I am on feisty (actually, the ubuntustudio variety),
2.6.20-16-lowlatency #2 SMP PREEMPT, Pd version
0.40.2-extended-2007-05-21.

Still, for mission critical situations, the (deprecated) oss (in alsa
emulation mode) is the way to go, unless the alsa support is in good
enough shape (as suggested by IOhannes).

./MiS