[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended), Pd-ext bug-tracker (was Re: elitism, software and academia)

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 07:40:41 CEST 2007

Hi Eni, thanks for responding~

On 6/10/07, Enrique Erne <pd at mild.ch> wrote:
> i wouldn't do that because there are not all instruments available.
> and maybe it's not the newest version. somebody could make an
> archive of his current netpd directory and send it to you.

It would be great if I could get one, since I just tried logging into
netpd and no one was on! It is really neat though, from what I saw.
The IRC-ish client is very snazzy (but could use the spaces as I
gathered from the logs). I'm really excited to be on when there are
other users to see how it all works!

> if people start writing patches using pd-extended and all it's
> externals we will probably have many new external related and
> os specific bugs and patches that wont work on everybody's system.

I am not meaning that people will add to netpd from Pd-extended.
Rather, it would be neat to 'steal' the great functional modules that
are in netpd and use them as standalone modules for rapid building of
non-netpd patches. Say, if a person has been using Reason for a few
years, but wants to upgrade. The netpd abstractions that I've looked
over on the netpd site seem to be fairly strait forward in GUI and
purpose that a Reason Seasoned (couldn't resist the rhyme) user could
take these modules and build their own patches with them, APART from
netpd.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, why not take the fruits of the netpd
community and make them accessible to users who might just want a
wikkid bassline or GOP mixer abstraction?

I wasn't suggesting that NETPD the whole community/project be consumed
into the Pd-extended distro so that changes made within Pd-extended
would influence netpd. However, some sort of Pd-daemon would be neat
if it could automatically update the cvs every time a netpd patch has
been updated (and possible cleared for errors/bugs), so that the
distro is constantly in sync with the netpd community action.

> > The largest challenge with this idea is the extra machinery for
> > synchronization between netpd elements.
>
> why do you want a extra machinery .. there is synchronization
> from a patch called master.pd (global metro)

I hope that this makes sense now after reading above. Since the
objects will be decontextualized from the group composition efforts of
netpd the community, it would be necessary to use some sort of dummy
system to get the objects to still work with each other...at least I
think so. I haven't gotten a hold of them yet to try. I guess I can
get some from the netpd site until I actually get a hold of some
members online using it.

> >  However, this machinery is
> > ideal for implementing a preset system for the instruments, so that
> > could be very nice.
>
> there has been a state saving system for a long time and on it
> a preset administrator (which i just fixed yesterday)

So I'm meaning that for newbies using the netpd abstractions on their
lonesome, trying to figure out Pd, they could use this state saving as
a way to document their explorations and subsequent compositions. If
they got into it, they could discover the online world of netpd. If
not, at least they had a great time learning Pd using the awesome
instruments provided from netpd and ported to being fairly autonomous
abstractions for Pd-extended.

Any more thoughts?

~Kyle

--