[PD] eliminating ctrl+Q etc in installation with keyboard

Yorick Phlypo yorick.p at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 13:06:29 CEST 2007

> it would be interesting to know what system you are on

Formerly I was using OSX 10.4, but since a couple of weeks I've been working
on Windows XP. On OSX I used [gemkeyname] exclusively to trigger movement.
So I don't know if this problem of lowercase/uppercase was there on OSX as
well. I suppose it wasn't, since it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I ran Ubuntu Studio on this pc through VirtualBox but there I had a problem
with the channeling of the USB ports. So the Arduino I'm planning to
implement in the installation can't be seen by pure data in Ubuntu Studio.
Since this computer i'm working on isn't mine, partitioning and risking
problems with that is not really an option. Once a week I do some testing on
both platforms OSX as wel as WindowsXP. I'll try to test the
uppercase/lowercase problem on OSX tomorrow. Eventually the installation
will be running from OSX, so I hope that in the end [gemkeyname] can be used
without a problem.

in this case [keyname]/[key] won't help you, since they only work when
> they have the keyboard focus (which they don't when the gemwindow is
> before them)

I'll be projecting the gemwindow on a surface, so maybe there's a way to use
a split screen (on OSX) and to have the keyboard focus? Since the computer
screen will not be visible for the user.

a good way to get the keyboard regardless of the the window-focus is
> [hid] (and probably [hidin])

Seems to be a problem on WindowsXP? I could try this on OSX, because that's
where the patch should be running smoothly in the end. Would this
(hid/hidin) be the best option?

And o yeah: The version of pd is pd039ext, so I thought maybe this could be
the problem. I needed the update to get the Arduino to work properly. I've
read recently about problems with Gem in combination with pd039ext. Could
this be the main cause? If this is so ... it's a shame :)

And at last (for now): I found the "kiosk" patch. Looks very interesting,
thanks a lot. But I don't know what to do with the kiosk.diff file. I'm
sorry if this is a newbie question. It would be great to be able to use this
function.

Thanks all,

yorick