[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended), Pd-ext bug-tracker (was Re: elitism, software and academia)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jun 13 03:46:36 CEST 2007

On Jun 9, 2007, at 5:45 AM, Enrique Erne wrote:

>>> I am now wondering something: why haven't these awesomely functional
>>> netpd object been included as abstractions within Pd-extended?!?!
>
> on one hand i would like to see netpd included in pd-extended, but not
> on cost of the current package. it is important that netpd and all
> patches work on linux, osx and windows.
>
> if people start to write netpd patches with pd-extended and use many
> externals i'm afraid we are going to have instrument that work on
> one os and maybe not on the other. netpd would also be a great
> system to find os-specific bugs :-)

This right here outlines the main purpose of Pd-extended: to provide
a tested and reliable package that works the same on all OSes.
Basically, I think you should pick one platform for netpd, and make
sure everything works smoothly on that one.  Then worry about the rest.

Alex Quessy and I tried to run the latest version on netpd working
for a network jam last Sunday, we both failed.  He got further than
me, he got some sounds out, but neither got it all working.  Both of
us know quite a bit about Pd, so I am amazed that newbies get it
going (do they?).

It would very nice if it was just plug and play.  It would not be
that hard to do it.  I think you could spend a day on it and have it
working smoothly.  It would be very worthwhile, but I think you have
already spent far more time trying to help people get it going than
it would take to fix things.

.hc