[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended), Pd-ext bug-tracker (was Re: elitism, software and academia)

Enrique Erne pd at mild.ch
Wed Jun 13 10:10:36 CEST 2007

hello hans

On Jun 13, 2007, at 3:46 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> on one hand i would like to see netpd included in pd-extended, but not
>> on cost of the current package. it is important that netpd and all
>> patches work on linux, osx and windows.
>>
>> if people start to write netpd patches with pd-extended and use many
>> externals i'm afraid we are going to have instrument that work on
>> one os and maybe not on the other. netpd would also be a great
>> system to find os-specific bugs :-)
>
> This right here outlines the main purpose of Pd-extended: to provide a
> tested and reliable package that works the same on all OSes.
> Basically, I think you should pick one platform for netpd, and make
> sure everything works smoothly on that one.  Then worry about the
> rest.

picking one platform for netpd is not possible. i doubt roman will
change to osx ;-), people have been developing under all OS. for me
there is no current pd-extended on osx 10.3.9 (right now i can't change
to 10.4 or linux)

> Alex Quessy and I tried to run the latest version on netpd working for
> a network jam last Sunday, we both failed.  He got further than me, he
> got some sounds out, but neither got it all working.

what didn't work? that day i saw you guys in the log file.. you managed
to login to netpd. unfortunately nobody was there to help you and
upload the right patches.
downloading all the instruments form the wiki is not ideal to start
with netpd.
you need at least 3 patches to get a sound: master.pd, qseq2.pd and a
drummachine. things like that are not documented anywhere.

>  Both of us know quite a bit about Pd, so I am amazed that newbies get
> it going (do they?).

well they should easily manage to connect and then usually somebody
gives a little intro to the netpd jungle.

at the moment only newbies on windows have a double clickable netpd
package. the package on osx is currently not working because of
10.3/10.4/ppc/intel + externals . there never was a linux package so
far.

> It would very nice if it was just plug and play.  It would not be that
> hard to do it.  I think you could spend a day on it and have it
> working smoothly.  It would be very worthwhile, but I think you have
> already spent far more time trying to help people get it going than it
> would take to fix things.

that's true. what do you suggest? what technology would be required? i
think getdir would solve the whole path issue. does getdir work without
[import]?

since we netload patches with openpanel it would be better to have the
netpd directory not inside the .app , but it would be indise the .app
if it is in the cvs right?

regards

eni