[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended), Pd-ext bug-tracker (was Re: elitism, software and academia)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Jun 14 12:01:35 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 08:57 -0500, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> Yes, what I am talking about is not to add 'netpd the whole
> application' to Pd-extended, but merely the modules, which are
> functional and quite useful on their own.

yeah, that is what i think as well.

> These seem to be the best developed set of GOP objects that would be
> immediately understandable to those coming from the
> Reason/Reaktor/AudioMulch/whatever crowd, and would serve as a nice
> entry point to Pd even when removed from the context of internet
> collaborative performance (which is still a WAY cool concept, Roman!).

a netpd-patch is a patch with a gui-subpatch, that uses some
netpd-abstractions and possibly some others, but usually they don't use
GOP. either turning them into GOP-modules or just into abstractions,
both would require at least a minimum of work (and writing some
help-patches).

> In the next week or so, I will start tinkering with some patches to
> see how well they integrate in my local Pd-extended distribution. If
> the go ahead is there from the netpd community, I'll try to write up a
> quick proposal to include these in the Pd-extended distro. Roman, how
> would I go about getting permission to distribute the patches in this
> way?

this topic was never seriously discussed and it is not clear, if and how
the netpd-patches could be generally licensed. but since it is known,
that a patch opened in netpd is distributed within the whole community,
one can assume, that these patches are meant to be shared.

> If this were to happen, would that require that the patches be
> maintained in cvs separate from the netpd application page? I'm pretty
> green at this sort of thing, but it seems like something that would be
> a great benefit, and which I might actually be able to help with. So
> please, feedback anyone?

i don't think that it is realistic to expect people to maintain there
patches in cvs. and i think it is more a question of porting the patches
to generally useful modules than of maintaining these modules, since i
don't believe that people who made some patches for netpd will maintain
the modules derived from their patches over years.

roman