[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Jun 14 13:31:34 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 16:48 +0200, patrice colet wrote:

> No, I seriously think that if I miss an abstraction, there is something
> wrong with the documentation, or comments, and I am not talking about
> net-pd. I'd rather rebuild my own set of abstractions than looking for
> the missing patch if I have to surf internet, ask questions to pd-list
> for getting answers. An undocumented patch is almost always a waste of
> time for every pd users. I can tell this for myself too.

i totally agree. and i think also that it is a good practice to inform
the authors about what is missing.

> > i think i can say _every_ netpd-patch that uses abstractions has
> > a subpatch [pd abslist] with a list of msgs containing all used
> > abstractions.
> >
> > when one netloads a patch, _creator.pd will read the abslist and
> tells
> > all
> > the users that it is going to upload a patch with the specific
> > abstractions
> > and version number.
>
> Yes, that's a very cool functionning, it could save everyone a lot of
> time, and it would be even better if _creator.pd was able to update
> itself, and why not letting it update absolutely all the files (even the
> ones in the bin directory)? It would certainly require a 'pd
> repositories'.

it is very difficult to transmit binary data over the net within pd.
binary executables are os/platform specific and are not portable, so i
don't see any sense in distributing externals/binaries. updating netpd
itself through creator might would make sense, though it must be very
stable. might be implemented in the future.

> > i was thinking about removing my name from the patches and make it
> more
> > welcome for changes (see kyle's movie about os)... so far we were
> > cautious in changing others patches.
> > usually we change the name ultrahardcoresynth-eni.pd and do changes
> and
> > suggest it
> > to the original author... but many authors are not active.. hmm
> that's
> > an other topic.
>
> Instead of uploading abstraction from a net-pd user's computer, it might
> be better if the abstraction were uploaded from a net-pd repository.
>  Any one that would like to add abstractions to net-pd would have to
> submit them to an active authority of the net-pd project, then it would
> avoid a lot of mistakes, and the autor would still be referenced but
> rather in a net-pd database than into the patch, were more usefull
> information could be displayed.

the aim of netpd is to provide a framework, in which selfwritten code
can be used. i think this selfwritten code should stay in the authority
of the author and not be moved to some 'superior' authority. something
that we all want, are patches, that just work and are portable. i
believe that this could rather reached by letting the principles of
darwin rule (patches that don't work out of the box or are too
complicated won't be used and so not distributed), rather than one
needing to play god in order to keep the world running.

> > what information would you like to see in the patches ?
>
> I simply would like to be able to understand without having to browse
> all patches and subpatches hundreds of times for having a clue about how
> the objects are functionning. For example if I want to put an FX-insert
> into an net-pd instrument I've made, I take a look at how it has been
> implemented in other intruments and in the mixer, and I give up after
> two hours because it's a real mess, there is absolutely no explanations
> anywhere.

checkout the netpd wiki on http://netpd.org . since many netpd-patches
are depending on others, it is far more easy to document them online,
where docus can be linked. before searching any other resources, i'd try
http://www.netpd.org/patchname first.

for the specific issue about creating your own fxlibs, there is much
docu online (see eni's post).

> > what do you mean with "original abstractions" ?
>
> Let's say: "an abstraction that isn't into the pd documentation"

are you still talking about netpd?

roman