[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended), Pd-ext bug-tracker (was Re: elitism, software and academia)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Jun 14 14:17:41 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 09:25 +0200, Georg Holzmann wrote:

> > Rather than reinvent the wheel, why not take the fruits of the netpd
> > community and make them accessible to users who might just want a
> > wikkid bassline or GOP mixer abstraction?
>
> Yes, that's also what I meant - this would be nice ...
>
> I don't know who is the maintainer of the netpd community - maybe
> someone could maintain these objects in CVS ? (then this could be also
> used as a central place for checking out the latest patches ...)
> If it is not changing too much I can also add them to CVS ...

there is no maintainer for what the community produces. rather is the
community maintaining itself.
to be more specifically, i think, what could be interesting to be
included into pd-extended are mainly the dsp parts of many patches (e.g
drums, basssynths, etc.), since these parts are relatively easy to
extract and separate from an existing netpd patch. and i think also,
that these parts can be used in a general way, whereas other parts
(sequencer stuff, mixers and others) are very interwoven with netpd and
might not be used in that general manner outside of the netpd context.
that is why i'd say it would make sense to focus on the dsp/synth stuff
of netpd. the experience showed, that often these parts have not changed
much (even at all) after the release of a netpd patch. that is why i
think, there is no much need for someone maintaining that stuff in cvs
(since i think that wouldn't work anyway), it just needs to be inlcuded.
as i said in a previous post, it is a matter of someone porting the
patches to generally usuable modules.

roman