[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended), Pd-ext bug-tracker (was Re: elitism, software and academia)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Jun 14 15:19:28 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 21:46 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> > on one hand i would like to see netpd included in pd-extended, but not
> > on cost of the current package. it is important that netpd and all
> > patches work on linux, osx and windows.
> >
> > if people start to write netpd patches with pd-extended and use many
> > externals i'm afraid we are going to have instrument that work on
> > one os and maybe not on the other. netpd would also be a great
> > system to find os-specific bugs :-)

> This right here outlines the main purpose of Pd-extended: to provide
> a tested and reliable package that works the same on all OSes.
> Basically, I think you should pick one platform for netpd, and make
> sure everything works smoothly on that one.  Then worry about the rest.

hm, that is what netpd basically does: pd-vanilla, zexy, maxlib, that's
it. these work quite the same on all os/platforms and i think also in
pd-extended for every os/platform.

> Alex Quessy and I tried to run the latest version on netpd working
> for a network jam last Sunday, we both failed.  He got further than
> me, he got some sounds out, but neither got it all working.  Both of
> us know quite a bit about Pd, so I am amazed that newbies get it
> going (do they?).

this might be rather due to bad documentation than difficulty of
installing netpd.  newbies often just download pd-netpd for win or osx
and that works just out of the box.

> It would very nice if it was just plug and play.  It would not be
> that hard to do it.  I think you could spend a day on it and have it
> working smoothly.  It would be very worthwhile, but I think you have
> already spent far more time trying to help people get it going than
> it would take to fix things.

hm....can you elaborate a bit more what you mean by 'fixing' stuff? i
know there are some drawbacks while installing netpd and i would sure
fix them, if i knew how to do it:

a) the user needs to add '-path /path/to/netpd/abs' to his/her startup
script. i'd love to get rid of this, but i don't see a way, since
[declare -path netpd/abs] does only work withing the patch, but not for
the whole pd-instance.

b) the user needs to set the path of the netpd-folder in
'netpd-settings' (see appropriate button in chat-window). since the
'open'-message to 'pd' is relative to pd's start location and NOT
relative to the patch's location, the user needs to set it manually (if
not using the pd-netpd-package), because there is no way to get the
start-location in pd. since i am sure, that the actual behaviour of the
'open'-message doesn't make any sense at all, i hope it will be changed
to 'relative to the patch' in the future. if not, i might consider using
'getdir' to overcome this problem.

i think these undesired, but atm necessary user interactions are the
main cause for any troubles while installing netpd and i assume, these
were the reason, why you and a.quessy had troubles installing netpd.
have you better ideas to overcome these problems?

roman