[PD] DSP abstractions [was: netpd ...]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jun 15 21:08:08 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> without designing to much, how this collection could look like, there
> are might some little conventions, that we could make up (these are
> meant as proposals):
>
> - finding a naming scheme, maybe using a prefix like dsp_**** (similar
> to the list-abs).

I think, this might be done later with a simple directory-prefix. If
the help-files themselves use the objects without any dir-prefix, then
the name could be decided later and they would still be useable with
standard methods of setting only the -path.

I didn't use a directory prefix, but instead a hardcoded prefix for
[list]-abs mostly because many of them are impossible to use without
the prefix anyways since they nameclash with existing objects like
[list-moses] vs. [moses]. So "import list" doesn't make any sense for
them. But for the dsp-collection I think, a directory prefix would
make sense.

> - using messages like 'frequency 123' to set parameters, which are
> routed inside the abstraction. with such a design, only one inlet for an
> arbitrary number of parameters is needed.

Yes, that could be a kind of "good practice" recommendation. I do this
in my personal abstractions a lot, where I now use the attached
"dispatcher" to automate the creation of the necessary [route
frequency] and [s $0-frequency] chains plus a tiny help-feature.
(Requires pd-0.40 and up because of $1-$2)

> - the helpfile should at least describe the available parameters and
> their default values.

Yes++.

Ciao