[PD] DSP abstractions [was: netpd ...]

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 17 13:44:13 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 13:11 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 11:10 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > > Then it won't work for people who have iemlib installed somewhere else
> > > and/or load it as a library.
> >
> > i thought, we do that effort to include the result into pd-extended?
>
> To me this isn't about enforcing a certain kind of Pd-distribution,
> but just collecting dsp-abstractions in one place, together with
> help-files, to give peoply the freedom to use them in any way they
> like. However [iemlib/bp2~] is an object name, that outside of
> Pd-extended is completely unknown.

it was not my intention to define, for what purpose these dsp-objects
are collected. the original question for this thread was: 'why are they
not in pd-extended yet?', that is why i assumed, we collect them for
pd-extended.

> > if that is the case, shouldn't we focus on make it working there
> > first?
>
> Then [import iemlib], [declare -lib iemlib] or so is better. This
> would give an error, if import isn't available, but at least the
> abstraction would still work, if someone loads iemlib as a library.

no, because in pd-extended the iemlib-objects are directly in /extra and
the abstractions are in extra/iemlib, whereas in a common iemlib
installation, some objects are in iemlib1 external, others in the
iemlib2  external and the abstractions are in a folder called 'iemabs'.

> Also bp2~.pd is just an abstraction that inside calls [filter~] which
> is a part of iemlib as well, so loading iemlib as a library/libdir may
> be necessary anyways.

yes: [bp2~] uses [filter~]
no: loading the library or the libdir is not necessary in pd-extended,
because [filter~] is directly in the extra folder.

if i am not totally mistaken, there is no way to ensure, that it works
in pd-extended and in non-extended pd at the same time. that means, we
have to decide, whether our purpose is to focus on making it work in
pd-extended or in pd-vanilla with regular externals installed. it's a
pity, but i think, that is how things are.

roman