[PD] DSP abstractions [was: netpd ...]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jun 17 17:53:41 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 16:39 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Well, but that's the unhappy part of Pd-life: For every external in
> > use, someone has to make sure, that this external is available.  As I
> > have no control over what people are using (and I don't want to
> > control them anyway), it's in the user's responsibility to make that
> > external available. We can only give hints with import or declare or a
> > README.
>
> i do not agree, that we (pd-users) should just stick with that.

As I see it we kind of have to stick with that for now, unless we want
to force everyone to set up their systems exactly the same and to
install all externals.  And with everyone I'm not only talking about
users, but also about developers (i.e. the author of bp2~.pd which
doesn't use import or declare or a directory prefix in front of
[filter~])

And it's not only about externals, it's also about differences like
the setable sends, [list length] etc. in 0.40 which are all missing in
the latest stable pd-extended. If you want to use these, you have to
ask the user to install a more recent version of Pd anyway in a
README.

But actually with pd-extended it's not hard to make most externals
available right from the start. In fact, most libraries like zexy or
iemlib or so are all activated in pd-extended, at least the
.pdsettings of RC2 has a lot of stuff already in it, so there's not
much user interaction involved.

Regarding the missing bp2~: I think, this abstraction is more or less
gone and replaced by bpq2~.pd and bpw2~.pd. At least these are
included in pd-extended. Probably your TR808 will clap correctly for
every pd-extended user if you use these names instead.

Ciao