[PD] arduino+solenoid concert

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 17 19:10:57 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 12:41 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> That's Roman of netpd fame (you can see netpd on the screen).  I
> forgot whether Pduino was used for that or not.  I would like to
> know.  A student here at Poly in Brooklyn used Maxduino (the Max/MSP
> port by Marius Schebella) but had a lot of trouble with timing.  I
> would like to see whether arduino USB can do tight timing like in
> that video.

yup, i used the pduino firmware, though not the arduino abstraction. for
my purpose - i wanted to work with a timegrid and a stepsequencer, where
sometimes more than solenoid were triggered at the same time - i did not
use the [arduino] abstraction in order to send only message (for example
'24' to trigger solenoid 4 and 5) instead of two messages ('16' and
'8').

it worked quite well, but there is still room for improvements (i mean
not for the pduino-project, but when arduino is used to trigger
solenoids). it turned out that the length of the 'on' period is very
sensible. a bit of jitter in that period causes sometimes the solenoids
to not reach the object or to hit it too strongly. since pd controls
both, the on and the off time, this period is not very constant. when i
find time to learn the arduino language, i might write my own firmware,
where i can send the period as a second value, so that the arduino
itself controls the timing and not pd.

roman