[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended), Pd-ext bug-tracker (was Re: elitism, software and academia)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jun 19 01:05:40 CEST 2007

On Jun 14, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 21:46 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> It would very nice if it was just plug and play.  It would not be
>> that hard to do it.  I think you could spend a day on it and have it
>> working smoothly.  It would be very worthwhile, but I think you have
>> already spent far more time trying to help people get it going than
>> it would take to fix things.
>
> reading that post a second time, i feel somehow insulted by your
> assumption, that i consciously do not fix things, that simply could be
> fixed spending a day for them. so, please tell me, what do you think
> needs to be fixed?

Certainly no insult of any kind was intended.  I was just quite
frustrated by the experience.  We were having a network jam at the
end of the NIME conference, a few of us wanted to use netpd.  But
only Alexandre was able to get it running.

Please don't take my comments to be saying something bad about your
skills or the work you put it.  It can be a hard problem to solve,
getting everything running smoothly, but it is certainly possible.
You have been very good at providing help for people to get it up and
running.  I'd just like to see netpd get to the point where you can
spend less time helping people get it running and more time improving
things.

In the general terms, I think it should be quite possible to make
netpd "just work" on any Pd-extended install with the user just
opening a patch in Pd.  If you want to base netpd on pd-vanilla, then
you'll need to provide any externals that are needed for the various
platforms.

As for my problem at the NIME jam, I wasn't really able to pinpoint
the problem.  But I'll work thru it with you sometime.  Basically,
take a machine that doesn't have netpd running, take a fresh,
untouched Pd install, and try running netpd.  For each step the stops
it from running, try to fix it without changing the environment or
the Pd startup settings.

.hc

> roman

> Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://
> messenger.yahoo.de

----

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith