[PD] DSP abstractions [was: netpd ...]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jun 19 01:21:17 CEST 2007

On Jun 17, 2007, at 7:44 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 13:11 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

>>> i thought, we do that effort to include the result into pd-extended?
>>
>> To me this isn't about enforcing a certain kind of Pd-distribution,
>> but just collecting dsp-abstractions in one place, together with
>> help-files, to give peoply the freedom to use them in any way they
>> like. However [iemlib/bp2~] is an object name, that outside of
>> Pd-extended is completely unknown.
>
> it was not my intention to define, for what purpose these dsp-objects
> are collected. the original question for this thread was: 'why are
> they
> not in pd-extended yet?', that is why i assumed, we collect them for
> pd-extended.
>
>>> if that is the case, shouldn't we focus on make it working there
>>> first?
>>
>> Then [import iemlib], [declare -lib iemlib] or so is better. This
>> would give an error, if import isn't available, but at least the
>> abstraction would still work, if someone loads iemlib as a library.
>
> no, because in pd-extended the iemlib-objects are directly in /
> extra and
> the abstractions are in extra/iemlib, whereas in a common iemlib
> installation, some objects are in iemlib1 external, others in the
> iemlib2  external and the abstractions are in a folder called
> 'iemabs'.

If it makes more sense for the heavy users of iemlib stuff, the stuff
in Pd-extended could be separated into "iemlib1", "iemlib2", and
"iemabs" folders.  I think that it probably makes sense to keep the
binaries from both iemlib1 and iemlib2 in "iemlib" since you'd never
use the name "iemlib1" or "iemlib2".  But it might make more sense to
put the iemabs into a "iemabs" libdir.

I stuck them all together so that the abs would find their
dependencies without needing a namespace prefix or an [import]/
[declare] statement (since a patch searches its own directory first
when loading objects IIRC).

.hc