[PD] Turning on/off an installation

Alexandre Quessy listes at sourcelibre.com
Tue Jun 19 15:50:12 CEST 2007

Hi all,
I was wondering if someone has an idea on how one could create a
switch to turn on and off an installation. I was thinking about either
a push button to turn it off, or a web interface. Maybe one of those
two things could make Pd (or PHP) write to a file that would be parsed
by a cron job every minute. That cron job should be owned by root in
order to be able to halt the computer. Then, to turn it on, I guess
one could set the bios to turn on the computer automagically when the
power gets down and then up again... Or one could use the computer
power button (but in this case, it is an laptop that I want to hide
deeply...) The whole idea behind this is to avoid to suddenly turn off
the computer, which would probably corrupt the file system at some
point. Of course I use GNU/Linux : probably Ubuntu Server or Debian.

Any suggestion ?

--
Alexandre Quessy
http://alexandre.quessy.net