[PD] (netpd)U(Pd-extended), Pd-ext bug-tracker (was Re: elitism, software and academia)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 19 19:18:28 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 11:47 -0500, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> On 6/18/07, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> wrote:
> > luckily just yesterday, i had a (very simple) idea, for which i waited
> > for years:
> > instead of opening the netpd-patches with the (for me) inconvenient
> > 'open'-message, i want to load them as abstractions. this has the BIG
> > advantage, that i can specify the location of a patch (now abstraction)
> > relative to the parent patch (creator in this case). by doing that i can
> > get rid of the very unwanted 'netpd-path' setting. AND this has a very
> > nice side effect: when all patches are actually the same patch, i can
> > add a search patch with only one [declare], that is valid for all loaded
> > netpd-patches (now abstractions).
> > in short: in future versions of netpd there will be no need for
> > 'netpd-path' and for a -path flag anymore.
> > there is one critical point left: having to have loaded the right
> > externals. with [declare], each netpd-patch can define for itself, what
> > it wants to have loaded. that means, the only thing, a user will have to
> > care, is to have installed the needed externals (which is the case
> > anyway in extended)
>
> This is great! I also like an additional feature of this method that
> you did not mention. When closing an instrument window, right now it
> will actually cause the instrument to disappear. I think that I
> actually inadvertantly crashed netpd a few times by doing this (since
> I am used to closing abstraction windows and subpatches to free visual
> space, but keeping them running still).

Usually you should only see the gui of a patch, not the main patch
itself (except when you are interested in seeing the internals of a
certain patch). but it's true, that the patch gets closed then
unintentionally, though this shouldn't crash pd. and if your pd crashes
then, it doesn't harm the session at all. you can just restart pd/netpd
and join the session, without the others noticing that you crashed.

>  So now, with this new idea,
> you would be able to close these windows in the normal way without it
> affecting netpd sessions.

yeah, true. i didn't think about this side effect yet.

> Sorry if I ruined your sessions ever by doing this!!!

you certainly never did. and still if you did, nevermind, we are doing
it for fun...... ;-)

> > i actually don't have time to implement all these changes and afaik the
> > actual stable release of pd-extended is based on 0.39, which lacks
> > [declare]. but when pd-extended switches to 0.40 and i'll have made the
> > necessary changes, things will be hopefully much easier than today for
> > eveveryone, the pd-extended users and pd-vanilla/external users.
>
> You could actually start working on Pd-0.40-extended, as it is already
> auto building every night!

i think, it doesn't need any extra work to make it work in
pd-0.40-extended. so it is just a matter of finding free time (aah, i a
few weeks we'll have summer vacation.......yeah!)

roman