[PD] gem mouse, how to get absolute coords?

danja binary.koala at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 00:27:37 CEST 2007

hi,
being totally astonished by the answer to my previous post, i come with
another sort of n00b/lazy question...
object [mouse] in gem outputs relative coordinates, between '-1' and '1'
for each of the two coordinates. there are few reasons for such
behaviour, first device itself reports only relative movements, second
there are no physical boundaries for it to move (so where is the centre
then?)... that's clear. however use of such streams is rather limited,
in my case i use mice as "measure" devices so would like to get more or
less absolute coords...
as i read in archives, Hans was planning on adding object [mousepointer]
but it doesn't seem like it made it there, which is a pity... ;) object
that could take 'calibration' dimensions and give out absolute 'x' and
'y' calculated from [mouse] outlets would be something very useful in my
believe. 'autocalibration' is handy too.
in the meantime, could anyone point me towards any (rough) method of
'triangulating' the mouse and getting absolute numbers?

take care,
danja

p.s. i can't use [gemmouse] as i'm having five devices and need to read
them individually.