[PD] use patches pd-list?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jun 20 14:08:07 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Enrique Erne hat gesagt: // Enrique Erne wrote:

> sometimes people send patches to pd-list without license comment.
>
> the question is: can i use the patches and publish it again under
> gnu/lgpl ?

Hm, GPL already is a quite specific license, which, although I like
it, might impose more restrictions than the original author intended.
For the patches I post to the list I assmue a public domain license/no
license. Putting the patches themselves under GPL would be a
restriction of thise license. But of course you can bundle them with
other GPL licenses and licence the whole package as GPL.

Of course sometimes I post abstractions from libraries that have a
different license. [list]-abs for example has a Pd-style license.

> i have used Franks list-abs a lot but i can't use it as abstraction in
> netpd since 1) list-abs is no dependency of plain netpd. 2) list-abs
> of corse come without version tags, then they would be treated as if
> they
> had a [version 0.0.0( tag.
> but if a bug gets fixed this abstraction wouldn't get updated in netpd.
> don't see an other way than adapt it and use it in a subpatch.

I cannot really help with that. The [list]-abs won't get version
numbers, as there may be many different formats of numbers showing up. Of course you could bundle [list]-abs with netpd as well as a requirement.

But then, some list-abs are quite simple/short, so putting them into
subpatches is a valid approach as well.

Ciao