[PD] arduino+solenoid concert

tim info at timvets.net
Thu Jun 21 19:04:44 CEST 2007

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 09:21 -0400, Alexandre Quessy wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> I don't want to insist... but a task like this would be much easier
>> with the http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/SimpleMessageSystem
>> than with something not-as-flexible like Pduino.

I agree to that.
We did something similar a while ago, with realys, shift-registers and
13 solenoids.
It was fairly easy to make one firmware for pd communication with SMS as
well as shifting code to drive the relays.
More complex passages showed some timing fluctuation, but overall timing
was pretty good.
Polyphony was kept at a maximum of 4, above that, things became more
unstable.
The on's and off's for the relays were sent from pd without any problem
(there was no need to move the "note off's" into the arduino code).
There's some video of it, though not really very good footage.
Video and audio are out of sync etc...but it gives an idea.
In case you're interested, see
www.timvets.net/projects/erkiandtim/poltergeist
We obviously were more inclined to drink beer than to shoot film that
night...;)

Tim