[PD] Teaching Pd

Alexandre Quessy listes at sourcelibre.com
Fri Jun 22 02:48:08 CEST 2007

Hi Kyle and the list,

2007/6/20, Kyle Klipowicz <kyleklip at gmail.com>:
> Hi List~
>
> I'm curious about teaching Pd to interested people, and know that a
> number of you have given workshops on the subject. I could really use
> some collective wisdom on this.
>
> What methods do you use to structure and communicate your course
> material? How do you market it within the city that you are teaching?
> What sorts of materials do you use?

Artists centers are great. Pd is free as in beer and speech. It is
good to explain much how the GUI works, and to help the students to
create a common patch (everyone the same) step by step. Go deeply into
one instead on trying to cover too much. You can go as far as dollar
signs and such in one day, but stick with one or two patches together
as a group. You can start with a few examples though. (not goind in
too much detail in their explanation)

> I found this wiki page that has some tutorials
> http://wiki.dataflow.ws/PdMtlAbstractions/Contents. Is there any other

It is a library. Of course you can look in the abstractions files to
understand how they work. We would like to have more users in it, and
I would like to make it a standard pd library / namespace with
categories for even externals some day, in not too long.

> information about teaching Pd that has been posted? It would be great
> if there were a space dedicated to Pd-educators to know the tried and
> true methods of communicating the ideas to new students.

For now : http://wiki.dataflow.ws/TeachingPureData ... I know I should
use puredata.info, but I am really in love with this little Moinmoin
wiki on dataflow.ws !

--
Alexandre Quessy
http://alexandre.quessy.net