[PD] Turning on/off an installation

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Fri Jun 22 21:03:02 CEST 2007

Hi Ben, Alexandre,

I think Alex is worried about his file system. The answer is simple:

1) Mount all drives read-only in /etc/fstab
2) Put a startup script so that whenever the machine is booted, it
starts your patch (check PD archives for this, there was lots of
discussion. My solution is pasted below***)
3) Museum/gallery people can *never* be bothered to learn how to
start/stop things safely, so if you do the above they can hit the power
button/turn off the circuitbreaker/pull the plug/do whatever to it every
night and you shouldn't have any problems. I've run several
installations in this way before.

best,
d.

*** I used .xinitrc to start everything:

#~/.xinitrc
# make sure your system is set up so that X starts when the machine
boots, and it autologs you as this user!
# first set LADSPA_PATH for [plugin~]
# open alsamixer to set soundcard levels
# make sure jackd isn't running already by killing it
# start jackd [if PD uses it in your case]
# start pd [optional: use -open /path/to/installation.patch.pd if it's
not in your ~/.pdrc or ~/.pdsettings]

export LADSPA_PATH=/usr/lib/ladspa
fluxbox &
xterm -exec alsamixer &