[PD] Turning on/off an installation

simon wise simonxwise at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 23 08:52:11 CEST 2007

On 23 Jun 2007, at 7:20 AM, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> Does anyone have a similar workflow for OS X? I am struggling with
> this problem right now for an installation I've helped with.(

OSX seems very tolerant of just turning the power off, at least my
laptop has a faulty connector to the battery and has lost power and
crashed many times without problems rebooting, and a few
installations I've got running do get turned off from time to time
accidentally without problems rebooting.
Settings are:

1/  make sure your file system is journalled (it is by default) - use
Disk Utility
2/  set 'Restart automatically after power failure' in
SystemPreferences:EnergySaver:Options
3/  set a schedule for automatic sleeps etc in
SystemPreferences:EnergySaver:Schedule
4/  set system to login to YourUser automatically in
SystemPreferences:Accounts:LoginOptions
5/  set Pd to start or a script to run on login in
SystemPreferences:Accounts:YourUser:LoginItems

I guess that the file system journalling is helping to prevent
corruption, but I still don't rely on that and either leave it
running or use the schedule to sleep and startup as required,

Note that if you shutdown manually (or by the schedule) then later
turn the power off then on again it is not a 'power failure' and the
system won't reboot automatically, it only does so when it lost power
while running. Also you have to make sure Pd quits before any
automatic shutdown because it does not quit when the system asks it
to during normal shutdowns.

You could also try mounting drives read only etc - but I haven't
tested that and would like to know more possibilities in this area!

simon