[PD] pd & gem on multiple cpus: howto use???

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Sun Jun 24 22:39:39 CEST 2007

hello,

Igor Medeiros a écrit :
> hi all
>
> how can i use 2 cpus with pd?
> i know i can open 2 instances of pd, but how can i assign each one for a
> different cpu?
the OS should do it for you.
> one running a gem patch and other with a pd audio patch?
this is a good solution if you gem patch is really CPU intensive.
by exemple, loading images will not stop audio rendering.
but usually (depending on your patch in fact), gem is GPU intensive, a gem patch should not use lot's of CPU.

> and the best way to communicate between these 2 instances is OSC?
netsend / netreceive work great, without any externals.

> if i record all OSC messages that i send to gem patch i imagine that i can
> render everything non-realtime later also -
> with better resolution/size... does anyone works this way? some guidelines
> would be very helpful...
i do use this trick for recording all frame on the HD, in order to create some good quality movies of the gem windows.
I record everything in a qlist and play this qlist slower.
I slow down gemwin frequency on the same proportion.
if your gem patch use line, delay or pipe object, you also need to slow them down also.

when creating this qlist, you nead to take care : delay 0 is not the same as no delay.

cyrille