[PD] pd & gem on multiple cpus: howto use???

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Sun Jun 24 22:36:13 CEST 2007

Igor Medeiros wrote:
> hi all
>
> how can i use 2 cpus with pd?

More than one instance of Pd.

> i know i can open 2 instances of pd, but how can i assign each one for a
> different cpu?

If you have an SMP kernel, the kernel will do it for you.

> one running a gem patch and other with a pd audio patch?
>
> and the best way to communicate between these 2 instances is OSC?

Either OSC or FUDI (with netsend/netrecieve)

> if i record all OSC messages that i send to gem patch i imagine that i can
> render everything non-realtime later also -
> with better resolution/size... does anyone works this way? some guidelines
> would be very helpful...

I do something similar:  I print all the messages I send to the
terminal, with time stamps.  "pd -stderr >>performance.log 2>&1" then
some 'sed' magic to remove the print: prefixes and load it into qlist
with "read performance.qlist cr", then play it back to render in DVD
resolution.  The advantage of going via the terminal, is that if Pd
crashes I still have the log up to that point - hasn't happened yet, though.

> i am on slackware 12 RC1
> Linux igorpc 2.6.21.5-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT
>
> thx in advance
> igor

Claude