[PD] Turning on/off an installation

simon wise simonxwise at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 07:49:34 CEST 2007

On 26 Jun 2007, at 4:40 AM, Max Neupert wrote:

>> the sleep script works nicely, but the logoff one fails -  "shut
>> down" and "sleep" are valid for Finder in an Applescript, but "log
>> out" isn't.
>
> first i think you need to activate UI-Scripting.
> http://www.apple.com/applescript/uiscripting/01.html
>
> you'll have in your “System events” applescript library a “power
> suite” folder with
> log out

found them - they are under "System Events" but not "Finder"
- so the proper Applescript syntax is:

tell application "System Events"
	log out
end tell

now the script works properly,
plus using

[open /Users/simon/sleep.app(

[ggee/shell]

works - Pd quits first, then the system sleeps or logs out or
whatever next.

The "pd quit unexpectedly" error message still gets displayed, it
seems to be a [shell] problem -
I seem to remember a thread about that a year or so ago - I'll search
for it, but it doesn't matter if I just want to log out or shut down

    - thanks for that, my next installations will be cleaner!

Do you know a way (in OSX) to create Logout Items similar to Login
Items in the Accounts Preferences?

to set up timed events I've used CronniX from http://
www.abstracture.de/cronnix (easy + free GUI to create crontabs =>
schedule events eg the Applescripts above)

simon