[PD] Turning on/off an installation

simon wise simonxwise at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 09:38:55 CEST 2007

On 26 Jun 2007, at 4:12 PM, Max Neupert wrote:

> http://developer.apple.com/macosx/launchd.html
>
> and you can actualy use iCal to set up any automatisation at any
> time calling scripts or etc. works great.
> otherwhise use http://lingon.sourceforge.net/

Lingon and the docs above are very useful

  - I'm just about to try to cut back on background system processes
on some MiniMacs I've got playing QT video files using GEM - they
seem to intermittently miss frames, there are 5 intel machines
running and usually 3 or 4 are playing cleanly and 1 or 2 dropping
frames for a while. I'm hoping that cutting out some background stuff
will help. I think that it is a problem that was not there with G4
MiniMacs, but will check - any hints as to what I should be looking
for that can be safely turned off? or is the new architecture with
the intel grahpics chipsets etc just not up to the job?

simon