[PD] using bonk to trigger piezo sensors

Olivier Heinry olivier.heinry at manga-burgah.net
Tue Jun 26 16:48:36 CEST 2007

Le mardi 26 juin 2007 à 13:35 +0200, henrik wurster a écrit :

> hello gang,

Hi Henrik!

> I have a project with pd using piezo sensors attached to my bongos
> underneath the skins. they actually work not too bad as microphones,
> but what I want to do is trigger the strokes being played on the bongos.
> in the end I want to trigger matching samples which I recorded previously.
> in my research how to detect small percussion instruments, I stumbled
> upon the bonk object, but don`t know how to work with it, because I am
> really new to pd...:)

I recently had to develop something similar, a darbuka player triggering
video samples, launching effects and so on.

Technically,  we pasted a very basic Yamaha DT20 piezo microphone (24€)
to the socket of the darbouka, not to the skin because of tone
alteration. We sticked the pieoz to the faience way of "Patafix", french
name for UHU Tac in Germany/Schweiz, (double sided tape doenst work
since most percussive instruments are round ;-). The Yamaha is ok , it's
cheaper and not so hard to DIY but i'm no soldering iron maestro.

I made a patch that detects odd/even beats (very basic, [alternate] ) ,
silences and pitch using the Aubio library by piem. Why not bonk~? it
reminds me too much of the old Max/M$P days...

Basically, onsets trigger a pulsating video effect, whose value
increases across time and the player's loudness (using aubioonset~ and a
settable threshold value for better live feeling)
onsets also triggers pitch detection: when this value is located within
various intervals, it modifies the video sequence being played (kidn of
sampler). I use chained [moses] objects for that purpose.
i also  track gain  after a [env~] and [oneshot] object cleared by the
"odd beat" onset detection to track "silence" and have the video faint
away

> I dont expect any patching, but can anybody help me to give me an idea
> how I could start buiding the patch ? I thought about loading the samples
> into an array, but does bonk work at all checking sounds with recorded
> samples ? thanks for any piece of advice

Actually, you've got two sub-programs: a first one that detect
pitch/onset , then the audio sample player, + some glue around it.

bonk~/fiddle~ only fits in the first.

++

OH