[PD] Please explain Windows compiling once and for all!

Mark Polesky middlepedal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 09:28:45 CEST 2007

Hey,

I'm trying not to get frustrated, seeing how posts like this one (on
compiling externals for Windows) are either ignored or answered way too
cryptically:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-06/051182.html

I posted a similar question to the "PURE DATA forum~" a few days ago, and so
far it too has gone unanswered:

http://puredata.hurleur.com/sujet-1029-problem-compiling-external-windows

Is compiling an external for Windows so mysterious that no one knows how to
do it? The responses that I've seen so far usually amount to "well this is
how it's done on linux, try changing this to that and maybe it'll work". The
famous external tutorial ( http://iem.at/pd/externals-HOWTO/ ) looks very
interesting, but it does me no good without knowing how to get from .c to
.pd ...

The request is simple: List the steps required (without skipping any!) to
take the C source file "helloworld.c" and make it into a usable object in
pd.

Someone, please, help me out. Also feel free to tackle the other specific
questions in my forum~ post. I'm sure there are plenty of other confused
Windows programmers out there.

Thanks.