[PD] problems with Intel MacMini playing video

simon wise simonxwise at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 27 16:12:28 CEST 2007

On 27 Jun 2007, at 1:27 AM, chris clepper wrote:

> What type of video files and at what size?  How many clips are
> playing on one machine at the same time?  What is the display
> resolution?  The Intel graphics have some problems above usual
> desktop sizes and shader performance is really horrible too.

I'm using pix_movie to play .dv movies by asking for each frame in
turn, so that I can scrub, pause etc with all machines in sync. It
works well, except for the intermittent series of hesitations I
assume are either dropped or late frames.

To debug this I switched to using a single machine, no network
connections and tested using [auto 1( instead of frame-by-frame -
only 1 clip playing in this simple setup. Then tried different codecs
- H264, PhotoJPEG each 576x720 and 1024x768. The MacMini is connected
to the 1024x768 projector via a short DVI cable. The GEM window is
set to fullscreen, frame rate 25.

There was a slight improvement with the H264 at 576x720 but the problem
was still there. Quicktime could play all the movies at fullscreen
smoothly.

I have some other MacMinis - PPC and intel - coming soon so I'll test
these and try higher framerates for GEM. The Intel ones have just
been used with Isadora in a similar way and apparently had the same
issue. The hesitation is only very noticeable on video with fast
moving, high contrast scenes - but it is obvious then.

Pity about the shader performance - I was planning to use Minis for a
more complex setup with masks and some colour correction but I guess
I'll need to go with bigger boxes and better graphics cards (probably
similar $$), or try to find some old G4 Minis.

Simon