[PD] External with custom gui

Carlos Pita carlosjosepita at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 02:53:45 CEST 2007

Hi all,

please anyone experienced with pd internals could give a quick look to the
attached external to help me get it working? There is a makefile there and a
simple test patch. The external is as simple as it can be, having just a
label and a border box. There is some debugging stuff here and there, mainly
calls to sys_vgui are wrapped by the macro sys_vguid which prints the tk
command to stdout before delegating to sys_vgui. The object is initialized
fine, but the first command passed to tk hangs pd. Maybe I'm missing some
compilation flags (the makefile works fine for externals without custom
gui). To test it just change PD_INC in the makefile to point to pd source
directory and run make, this will build the library and invoke pd passing it
the test patch. I'm compiling against pd-0.40-2. If you could give me some
hint on pd debugging or to point me to the error I would be very thankful.

The debugging output I get is:

carlos at monad:~/dev/sound/pd-ext$ make
pd -lib ext test-ext.pd
args accepted    <- arguments to the object are fine
ext_draw           <- draw rutine is called (with IEM_GUI_DRAW_MODE_NEW)
ext_draw_new   <- draw_new rutine is called
.x70b470.c create rectangle 59 101 69 111 -fill #fcfcfc -tags
.x70b470.c.base

and here pd gets stuck.

TIA
Cheers,