[PD] nogui mode WAS: Re: debian/ubuntu package for

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Jul 5 06:01:06 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 11:42:12PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Chris McCormick wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 04:37:26PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> >>I don't see what's the problem. You don't have to install the whole X
> >>Window System, because it's already installed anyway.
> >Or you are running on a headless embedded system[1], or a flash-ROM
> >based system with no X[2].
>
> With a headless embedded system you still benefit from having libX11
> because then its applications can display windows on the screen of the
> computer that you use to connect to it. I do that using "ssh -X -C".

If you want to do that then you need to have an X server running right?
In some situations that consumes more memory, CPU, flash/disk than is
desireable. Is there any other advantage to having libX11, tcl/tk, etc.
other than wanting to ssh -X -C?

I do take your point, but I think you aren't considering all possible
applications and environments that Pd might potentially be a part of.

> >[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gp2x
>
> Does that system even support deb or rpm ?

Not now, but it probably will when Open2x have done their work.

Best,

Chris.