[PD] nogui mode WAS: Re: debian/ubuntu package for

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 5 06:11:46 CEST 2007

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Chris McCormick wrote:

>> With a headless embedded system you still benefit from having libX11
>> because then its applications can display windows on the screen of the
>> computer that you use to connect to it. I do that using "ssh -X -C".
>
> If you want to do that then you need to have an X server running right?

You need an X server on the ssh client side. An X client does not connect
where you don't tell it to connect. Most of the time that I use "ssh -X
-C", I don't have an X server on the machine that runs the X client; and I
mean that not only it's not in RAM, it's not on disk either.

> Is there any other advantage to having libX11, tcl/tk, etc. other than
> wanting to ssh -X -C?

you can also connect directly by X11 protocol for the same reason that you
can still use Telnet or RSH if you really want to.

> I do take your point, but I think you aren't considering all possible
> applications and environments that Pd might potentially be a part of.
>>> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gp2x
>> Does that system even support deb or rpm ?
> Not now, but it probably will when Open2x have done their work.

Then you can probably re-mention it when they are done with their work if
people still use it with 64MB flash. (On the other machine that you
mentioned, diskspace is not even an issue.)