[PD] nogui mode WAS: Re: debian/ubuntu package for

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 5 07:48:38 CEST 2007

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Chris McCormick wrote:

> Just because you can't conceive of a concrete example where someone
> wants to run debian/ubuntu, but can't, or doesn't want to install X,
> doesn't mean that it won't happen. Anyone who does a lot of development
> on embedded systems knows that at least having the option of being able
> to install and run the most minimal configuration of a piece of software
> is very valuable for those corner cases

It's not that: it's that people who run debian/ubuntu and don't want to
install X but want to use pd, are precisely the kind of people who will
not use those packages, because they will want to remove some more guts
from it.

> It seems like you are arguing for software bloat, against modularity and
> against user choice, and I don't understand why you would argue that.

I'm arguing against making special efforts to provide features to people
who won't use them.