[PD] Re: nogui mode WAS: Re: debian/ubuntu package for

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 5 20:14:56 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 16:37 -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Roman Häfeli wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 12:56 +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> >> i think it would be interesting to split pd and pd-gui into 2 separate
> >> packages (pd recommending pd-gui, pd-gui probably depending on pd (but
> >> not necessarily)).
> >> right now, you can run pd with "-nogui", but due to all the dependencies
> >> in the package, you will have to install X, tk and so on. (correct me if
> >> i am wrong, i haven't checked)
> > i think, this is a good idea. puredata depends on tk8.4 depends on
> > libx11-6 depends on x11-common etc. so yes, in order to install pd now,
> > the whole x window system is installed.
>
> I don't see what's the problem. You don't have to install the whole X
> Window System, because it's already installed anyway.
>
> Unless you ran out of diskettes.

yo, i think there are some situations (e.g. for a fixed installation),
where you know in advance that you'll run pd with -nogui and you setup a
fresh computer just for this installtion (e.g. ubuntu server, which has
no X per default, afaik). why would you want to install X then, when you
won't need it?
for this kind of cases (i already had some of them), now you are forced
to install the complete X windows system, when you install pd per
package manager. it would be nice to have the opportunity to install
purely puredata.

roman