[PD] nogui mode WAS: Re: debian/ubuntu package for

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jul 6 17:15:05 CEST 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 10:59:47PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> Now, what about putting each object class of pd in a different package?
> I am assuming you mean a different package for each [osc~] [cos] [+]
> etc.

That's what I mean.

>> This would give the user a lot more choice, modularity is flexibility.

grrr, typo, change "is" to "and", to match what you had said before.

> But it doesn't seem very practical. Can you tell me of any user who wants
> that amount of flexibilty and choice?

Let's wait a bit, there must be someone. However it doesn't mean we'd find
that person right away... not even 2% of pd users write on pd-list.
Personally I'm interested in rationales used in a feature acceptance
process. It's not really a rhetorical question, because I'm really
interested in answers.

If we compare pd-extended to how Debian/Ubuntu packages are structured for
programming languages like Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby, PHP, etc., then
pd-extended would be a few dozen packages already.