[PD] nogui mode WAS: Re: debian/ubuntu package for

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jul 6 18:04:20 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Thomas Mayer hat gesagt: // Thomas Mayer wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > To satisfy the other two percent, a better solution IMO would be to
> > make a pd-nogui patckage, that would conflict with the normal Pd
> > package, so that only one can be installed. This has predecessors in
> > the various flavours of vi(m) and emacs that can be chosen on Debian.
>
> How about splitting it into two packages, pd-nogui.deb and pd.deb, so pd
> would depend on pd-nogui.deb. It's like installing (e.g.) gvim, which
> depends on vim-common, that contains a console version of vim.

No, vim-common does not contain the console version of vim. vim-common
only holds the data shared by all vim packages, like help-files. The
actual binaries of vim are in the packages called vim, vim-gtk,
vim-tiny, vim-python etc. Among these, the package "vim" provides a
vim binary with the most standard feature set. The other packages are
for people who "need more (or less)".

That could be a useful solution for Pd as well, however I'd rather see
work being done on splitting off a package of just the externals from
pd-extended than bothering too much with making the main pd package
even smaller, when those (few), who need that, can just roll their
own.

Ciao