[PD] 24bit on Linux Indigo IO

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 9 16:57:45 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Claude Heiland-Allen hat gesagt: // Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Ed Kelly wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to get PD working with a 24bit soundcard under Linux?
> > I have an Echo Indigo IO - but I get a decimated mess using PD - sounds
> > like a 24bit DAC playing back a 16bit word...
>
> 1. Use alsa plughw interface instead of alsa hw interface.
> 2. Use jack.
>
> Both works for me with Edirol UA-25.
>
> The alsa hw interface refuses to open at all in Pd for me with my device
> in 24bit mode, fwiw.

That's a "known" limitation of Pd's ALSA interface, at least I
reported as Feature Request: "[ 1693533 ] Support 24Bit-soundcards in
Pd/ALSA" once. Pd's ALSA interface only knows about SND_PCM_FORMAT_S32
and SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16, while the format of most 24bit USB soundcards
is SND_PCM_FORMAT_S24_3LE.

Ciao