[PD] breath synthesizer

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 15:19:00 CEST 2007

Breathing could be as easy as pushing a bit of
rising and falling noise through some parallel
bandpass filters.

To model the human vocal tract, mouth and lungs, and
the air pressure at all places inside is the tricky
bit to make it sound convincing. Is it for singing
or a synthesised instrument like flute?.. because for
playing an instrument there is forced breathing where
the lips are more closed and that needs a slightly
different model. Open breathing is more related to
singing synthesis, two deep sources to mine are this thesis

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~prc/SingingSynth.html

and this one

http://web.media.mit.edu/~moo/thesis/YEK_thesis.pdf

What you probably are *not* interested in are
fof, paf, vosim type methods, which are more
for voiced sounds. One that would be good
for breathing is vocoder (filter bank).
If you have a good tract model it's gonna be good for
breathing, replace the voiced oscillator with different
kinds of noise. There's a pvoc example in the Pd help files.
Take snapshots for "oooh" and "aah" formants and try those
filters with noise. To make it efficient crossfading
between a few fixed filters might be okay. I haven't researched
it much further, but you'd suppose different forces are at
work breathing in and out, so they will be different sounds
with different noise/pressure curves.

--
Use the source